Information For Clients
- 1. Client Care And Service Information
- 2. Complaints Procedure
- 3. Persons Responsible For The Work
- 4. Professional Indemnity Insurance
- 5. Lawyers Fidelity Fund
Information For Clients
1. Client Care And Service Information
Whatever legal services your lawyer is providing, he or she must:
• Act competently, in a timely way, and in accordance with instructions received and arrangements made.
• Protect and promote your interests and act for you free from compromising influences or loyalties.
• Discuss with you your objectives and how they should best be achieved.
• Provide you with information about the work to be done, who will do it and the way the services will be provided.
• Charge you a fee that is fair and reasonable and let you know how and when you will be billed.
• Give you clear information and advice.
• Protect your privacy and ensure appropriate confidentiality.
• Treat you fairly, respectfully and without discrimination.
• Keep you informed about the work being done and advise you when it is completed.
• Let you know how to make a complaint and deal with any complaint promptly and fairly.
The obligations lawyers owe to clients are described in the Rules of Conduct and Client Care for Lawyers. Those obligations are subject to other overriding duties, including duties to the courts and to the justice system. If you have any questions, please visit www.lawsociety. org.nz or call 0800 261 801.
2. Complaints Procedure
We maintain a procedure for handling any complaints by clients, designed to ensure that a complaint is dealt with promptly and fairly. If you have a complaint about our services or charges, you may refer your complaint to Rico Horsley, Partner, by letter, telephone (09) 929 0804, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you do not wish to refer your complaint to Rico Horsley, or you are not satisfied with his response to your complaint, you may refer your complaint to Michael Hemphill, Partner, by letter, or by telephone (09) 929 0808 or email at email@example.com.
The Law Society operates the Lawyers Complaints Service and you are able to make a complaint to that service. To do so, phone 0800 261 801 and you will be connected to the nearest Complaints Service Office, which can provide information and advice about making a complaint.
3. Persons Responsible For The Work
The names and status of the person or persons who will have the overall responsibility for the work we do for you are set out in our letter of engagement. Any limitations on the extent of our obligations to you or any limitation or exclusion of liability are also set out in our letter of engagement.
4. Professional Indemnity Insurance
We hold professional indemnity insurance that meets or exceed the minimum standards specified by the Law Society. We will provide you with particulars of the minimum standards upon request.
5. Lawyers Fidelity Fund
The Law Society maintains the Lawyers’ Fidelity Fund for the purpose of providing clients of lawyers with protection against pecuniary loss arising from theft by lawyers. The maximum amount payable by the Fidelity Fund by way of compensation to an individual claimant is limited to $100,000. Except in certain circumstances specified in the Lawyers and Conveyancers Act 2006, the Fidelity Fund does not cover a client for any loss relating to money that a lawyer is instructed to invest on behalf of the client.